Bill 154 has passed and the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act (ONCA) is scheduled to be proclaimed January 2020. Bill 154, Cutting Unnecessary Red Tape Act, 2017 contains all the enabling legislation needed so ONCA can be proclaimed. It also contains some important improvements to ONCA that ONN, charity law lawyers and nonprofit organizations have been asking for.
Organizations will have three years after proclamation to come into conformity with the new act.
The regulations are still being developed so important details are not yet known to inform changes to your by-laws and articles. This is why ONN is recommending that, unless you have pressing concerns that require you to revamp your by-laws, you wait until regulations are complete. In the intervening time, changes have been made to the Ontario’s Corporations Act to enable the work of the sector.
Learn more: Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) has a website dedicated to providing easily accessible and accurate information on the Ontario Corporations Act and ONCA.
Next steps for ONN are to continue to work with the Ontario government via the ONCA Implementation Steering Committee in monitoring implementation, ensuring there will be transitional supports and education for the nonprofit sector, and that the new online services – and availability of sector data – meet the needs of the sector. Collaboration in action!
Transition Support for Ontario’s nonprofits
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario) has launched the “Get Ready for the ONCA” project, in support of the Ontario nonprofit sector as it transitions under the new ONCA.
This will help Ontario’s not-for-profits understand and prepare for changes that will affect nonprofits across the province when the ONCA comes into force, no earlier than 2018. You can find helpful resources, webinars and events on their website.
History of work on the ONCA
- 2014-2015 Mandate letter to the Honourable David Oraziette, Minister of Government and Consumer Services.
- ONN Briefing Note, April 17, 2013 – Requesting clarity and amendments to the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations act to enable and support the work of organizations providing public benefit in Ontario. Click here to read brief.
- ONN’s update on proclamation delay, March 28, 2013.
- Announcement of proclamation delay for January 1, 2014. See official announcement from the Honourable Tracey MacCharles, Minister of Consumer Services, March 28, 2013.
- ONCA Implementation Steering Committee Established, January 2013.
- Announcement of proclamation delay for July 1, 2013. See letter from Ministry of Consumer Services, September 26, 2012.
- ONN Letter to Minister Best requesting a DELAY of proclamation, July 5, 2012.
- ONN’s Lead Policy Advisor’s interview with the Globe and Mail “Non-profits worried new law will hurt smaller agencies,” October 31, 2011.
- ONN presents to the Standing Committee on Social Policy, August 23, 2010.