Take action on insurance issue for nonprofits now
Insurance has become a significant challenge for many nonprofits and charities as a result of COVID-19.
Nonprofits have barely survived the first phase of the pandemic only to find themselves struggling to operate or re-open because of skyrocketing insurance costs, COVID-related exclusions, and an excessive burden of liability falling on volunteer boards of directors. Organizations that have followed public health guidelines in good faith now need government to act to ensure nonprofits are not subject to excessive liability and drawn-out, expensive lawsuits.
The Government of Ontario must take immediate steps to provide “Good Samaritan” protection to our sector, making nonprofits – and their directors, officers, employees, and volunteers – not liable for COVID-related damages if they operate in accordance with all applicable emergency and public health guidance.
Key messages to share with your MPP:
- Ontario cannot re-open successfully without the nonprofit sector, and this won’t happen unless action is taken to address the insurance challenge
- The Ontario government provide “Good Samaritan” liability protection to nonprofits that have followed all public health guidelines
- This issue cannot wait for the fall legislative session and must be solved immediately
Actions to take
- Call: Find your MPP’s constituency office phone number.
- Email: Use our template below or create your own to share your key messages with your MPP, copying the Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport at firstname.lastname@example.org and the Premier at email@example.com
- Spread the word: Enlist other local nonprofits and charities in the action. Email your local community newspapers, call your local talk radio show and push out your points on social media (being sure to tag your local MPP)
- Share this action alert: Let friends and colleagues who care about thriving communities know about this issue.
- Use our email template
- See our easy-to-tailor email template at the end of this page for your organization to personalize, or create your own.
Don’t forget to send a copy to ONN at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can gather sector perspectives!