We are the independent network for the 55,000 nonprofits in Ontario, focused on policy, advocacy, and services to strengthen Ontario’s nonprofit sector as a key pillar of our society and economy.
We work to create a public policy environment that allows nonprofits and charities to thrive. We engage our network of diverse nonprofit organizations across Ontario to work together on issues affecting the sector and channel the voices of our network to government, funders, and other stakeholders. The network began in 2007 as a mobilization of sector leaders concerned about proposed changes to the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act (Bill 65). Incorporated as a nonprofit in 2014, ONN was developed as an incubated project of the award-winning Centre for Social Innovation.
A Strong and Resilient Nonprofit Sector. Thriving Communities. A Dynamic Province.
To engage, advocate, and lead with – and for – nonprofit and charitable organizations that work for the public benefit in Ontario.
- Courage to take risks and do things differently
- Diversity of perspective, creativity, and expertise to get stuff done
- Optimism and determination
- Solutions created by the sector, with the sector, for the sector
- Celebrating our successes and learning from our experiences
- Strength that comes from working together
A Snapshot: ONN’s advances on behalf of the sector
- Helped win an exemption for charities under federal anti-spam legislation
- Jointly advocated for a community benefits principle in Ontario’s Infrastructure for Jobs and Prosperity Act
- Created the first registry of its kind for nonprofits to access surplus Ontario Government land before it goes public
- Mobilized a call to action to get the Accounting Standards Board to reconsider proposed changes to principles which would be costly and time-intensive for nonprofits
- Secured access for all provincially funded organizations to the Ontario Vendor of Record Program
- Developed essential services designed for nonprofits, including programs for employee benefits, insurance, and purchasing
- Leading the charge on the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act to work with the Ontario government to communicate the impact on the sector, share information, and secure support for nonprofits to transition under the new Act
- Shaping a labour force strategy and championing a decent work movement for our 1 million paid employees
- Inspiring the creation of regional networks for nonprofits, like the Chatham-Kent Nonprofit Network, the Toronto Nonprofit Network and a Peterborough-area network, to work together on common opportunities and issues
Funded by the sector and sector supporters
We have diverse sources of funding; we’re not dependent on any one source. We’re proud that over half of our funding is self-generated earned income, ensuring our independence and financial sustainability.