We are the independent network for the 58,000 nonprofits in Ontario, focused on policy, advocacy, and services to strengthen Ontario’s nonprofit sector as a key pillar of our society and economy.
We work to create a public policy environment that strengthens nonprofits so they can do more. We activate our network nonprofits, convening and engaging organizations, leaders, and stakeholder to tackle cross-cutting issues at a sector-wide level. Our efforts are bringing the the voices of the sector to policy- and decision-makers.
The network began in 2007 as a mobilization of sector leaders concerned about proposed changes to the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act (Bill 65). Incorporated as a nonprofit in 2014, ONN was developed as an incubated project of the award-winning Centre for Social Innovation.
A Strong and Resilient Nonprofit Sector. Thriving Communities. A Dynamic Province.
To engage, advocate, and lead with – and for – nonprofits that work for the public benefit in Ontario.
- Courage to take risks and do things differently
- Diversity of perspective, creativity, and expertise to get stuff done
- Optimism and determination
- Solutions created by the sector, with the sector, for the sector
- Celebrating our successes and learning from our experiences
- Strength that comes from working together
A Snapshot: ONN’s advances on behalf of the sector
- Brought about the creation of a sector-wide pension plan
- Helped win an exemption for charities under federal anti-spam legislation
- Jointly advocated for a community benefits principle in Ontario’s Infrastructure for Jobs and Prosperity Act
- Created the first registry of its kind for nonprofits to access surplus Ontario Government land before it goes public
- Mobilized a call to action to get the Accounting Standards Board to reconsider proposed changes to principles which would be costly and time-intensive for nonprofits
- Secured access for all provincially funded organizations to the Ontario Vendor of Record Program
- Developed essential services designed for nonprofits, including programs for employee benefits, insurance, and purchasing
- Leading the charge on the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act to work with the Ontario government to communicate the impact on the sector, share information, and secure support for nonprofits to transition under the new Act
- Shaping a labour force strategy and championing a decent work movement for our 1 million paid employees
- Inspiring the creation of regional networks for nonprofits, like the Chatham-Kent Nonprofit Network, the Toronto Nonprofit Network and a Peterborough-area network, to work together on common opportunities and issues
Funded by the sector and sector supporters
We have diverse sources of funding; we’re not dependent on any one source. We’re proud that over half of our funding is self-generated earned income, ensuring our independence and financial sustainability.