ONN’s efforts will drive stronger recognition of the Ontario nonprofit sector as a key pillar of our society and economy, contributing to thriving Ontarian communities and a resilient and dynamic province.
ONN’s growing network will be far reaching, diverse and deeply engaged in generative dialogues and solutions.
In the next three years, ONN will influence positive change for the Ontario nonprofit sector by focusing on three key policy areas:
Strengthen and support the nonprofit sector labour force and its diverse and active volunteer base. This will result in the mobilization of a decent work movement in the sector.
Catalyze improvements in the Ontario nonprofit sector’s funding environment through reforming the sector’s investment relationship with government and removing barriers for nonprofits to earn income.
Ensure the sector’s legal frameworks – policy, legislation, and regulation – support and empower the sector’s work.
Our 3-Year Strategic Priorities
Priority 1: Advocate for an enabling public policy environment so nonprofits can thrive.
- Cultivate ONN’s practical and agile network approach to convening, listening, analyzing and framing policy positions.
- Develop policy positions and priorities that are meaningful and relevant to Ontario’s diverse nonprofit sector.
- Activate, support and leverage the network to champion policy issues of importance to the sector at large.
- Influence decision makers and stakeholders to prioritize the interests of the sector through non-partisan, multi-faceted government relations.
Priority 2: Champion the nonprofit sector’s value and influence to strengthen its social and economic impact.
- Advocate the importance of sector-driven evaluation and inspire a culture of learning within the sector.
- Gather, promote, and leverage evidence about the impact of the sector’s work.
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan to promote the value and impact of the sector.
- Mobilize nonprofits to promote the value and impact of the sector by providing communication tools and resources.
Priority 3: Increase engagement and diversity of ONN’s network to strengthen it and positively influence public policy.
- Diversify ONN’s network and staff leadership to reflect Ontario’s demographic diversity.
- Develop and strengthen ONN’s membership services to help nonprofit organizations improve how they get their work done.
- Develop and leverage relationships with provincial associations and local/regional networks of nonprofits.
- Facilitate strategic partnerships that increase the Ontario nonprofit sector’s access to capacity building opportunities.
In order to achieve these three priorities, ONN will continue to develop a resilient organization, leading by example. It will diversify its revenues and resources, develop stellar human resource practices, and build its infrastructure, systems and technology to support this work. Evaluation will be integral to continually improve and learn.